PlayBoard is seeking applications from forward thinking individuals to undertake the role of Chairperson of PlayBoard’s Board of Directors.
The position of Chairperson offers a rewarding experience and the opportunity to make an important contribution to the children and young people’s sector in Northern Ireland and beyond.
- Interested in children and young people’s development?
- Interested in why, how and when children play?
- Motivated by helping children and young people to thrive?
- Experienced in leading, strategic thinking and building influential networks?
- Clear on what makes for great governance?
- Want to use your talent and commitment to make a difference?
- Share our passion for delivering creative, high quality services that can transform lives and promote wellbeing?
Purpose of Chairperson role
- To be a Director of PlayBoard NI.
- To provide strong and effective leadership to the Board, CEO and Senior Management Team.
- To ensure effective governance throughout the organisation.
The Board currently meet six times a year, for up to two hours. In addition to this the Chairperson speaks with the CEO around once a month and attends sub-groups and events if required.
Who are we?
PlayBoard is the leading agency for the promotion, development and delivery of play in Northern Ireland. The organisation is currently expanding its Board of Trustees and is seeking to recruit people with specific skills and competencies from a broad range of backgrounds. We are a vibrant organisation whose work is valued and respected. We operate at multiple levels, strategically assisting all aspects of policy formation aimed at improving children and young people’s holistic experiences.
Leading the play agenda in Northern Ireland, we have vision of a society where the right to play is both valued and realised for every child. To achieve this, we work with local, national and international partners and likeminded organisations. We lobby and campaign for policy that protects and promotes play and we encourage everyone who has an impact on the lives of children and young people to recognise the value of play and to plan for improved spaces and places for play and leisure.
As Chair, you will:
- Be keen to play a key role in leading the implementation of PlayBoard’s strategic plan.
- Work with the CEO and wider team to ensure strong governance, excellent strategic planning and a brilliant approach to operations, management and reporting.
- Through Board collaboration, demonstrate your experience, skills and knowledge of leadership and governance to enable PlayBoard to thrive.
- Constructively challenge and support the Board to better understand our audiences, impact and potential and to realise organisational growth, resilience and sustainability.
- Be motivated by results and seek improvements in PlayBoard’s branding, marketing and communications that lead to increases in membership, income and effectiveness.
Do you have the following?
- Senior management or leadership success in either a corporate, private, public sector or third sector environment.
- Successful strategic planning and implementation.
- Experience performing the role of Chairperson for committees or working groups.
- Outstanding interpersonal and ambassadorial skills.
- Experience advocating and negotiating on behalf of others.
- Experience of governance in an organisation.
- Knowledge of the policy framework in which the voluntary children and young people’s sector operates.
Piqued your interest?
If you think you have the skills we are seeking and if you are interested in working for a cause that prioritises children and their lives, please complete the application pack.
Apply now, you could be part of our strategic leadership team.
Go to www.communityni.org/job/independent-chairperson to download:
- Board recruitment chair information pack
- Application form
Closing date: Friday 3 September 2021 at 4:00pm.
Salary: Whilst no remuneration is available for this role, all reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
Enquiries: Jimmy Gillen, Director of Corporate Services & Finance – T: 028 9080 3380 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org